Friday 6 September 2013

Six Sided Sampler with a New Ink Pad Top Tip!

Hello there,
I have a card today to share with you that we made at class this week using the cool Six Sided Sampler stamp set and matching Hexagon punch.
**EDIT TO SAY I ALSO HAVE A VIDEO WITH MY TOP 3 INK PAD TIPS HERE if you prefer :-)**
I wanted to try a little banner style card with this set and came up with this card.
I used the Honeycomb Embossing folder for the background on Pink Pirouette card with a Coastal Cabana card base..
 I simply stamped and folded the hexagons for the banner securing just the centre one with dimensionals so there was still movement but so they didn't flip over all the time ;-)
 sentiment is from the Sweet Essentials set, this sentiment actually reads "hello, baby" but I just inked the "hello" section using a marker :-)
OK, so top tip time! So, I love the new Stampin' Up! Ink Pads, they give fantastic coverage when stamping and your images are so much bolder. That said I found when they are new they are just too "juicy" and I was having trouble getting certain images to not bleed into the white areas! I have found this to be a tad frustrating-- please see below for an example of what I mean...
Now, I know you could blot some of the ink away but I don't have all the re-inkers and was worried if I over did this my ink pad would be too dry instead ;-) Soooo I came up with a compromise....
 I simply took my Bone Folder and scraped the bottom half of my ink pad, several times, and pushed some of the excess ink to the top half of my pad, this way I can use the dryer bottom section to stamp and when I have used  it some more I can re-distribute the ink back over my pad and not have any waste!!
 this is what it looks like, it does stay like this too even once it's stored* for a few days (*stored flat, don't know about if you keep them on their ends as I don't keep mine like that) obviously if it evens out simply re-scrape the pad.
 and this is the difference when stamping with the "fixed" ink pad...
Well, I hope this helps if you are having the same troubles with your ink pads :-)
Thanks for visiting today,
Stampin' Hugs,
 

12 comments:

  1. I'll try that SJ - thanks for the tip.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ink pad tip...brilliant :) I wouldn't have thought of using the hexagons for a banner..you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's brilliant Sarah-Jane, thank you for sharing that top tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting idea. By the way I've been stamping for over twenty years now and one of the first things I learnt was never ever store your ink pads on their sides. Some gorgeous cards on here-might be case-ing. Love Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to visit Betty, I love that you came to visit :-)
      I totally agree that ink pads are best stored flat and as I mentioned in my post I do that, but I'm sure some people reading this tutorial either prefer to or perhaps need to store their ink pads differently and I don't know if they will have to re-distribute the ink more or less often if that happens as I didn't test this.
      Sorry if that was un-clear in this tutorial.
      Thanks again for visiting ,
      Hugs, Sarah-Jane xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tip! I stamp very lightly and didn't think I had a problem with the new ink pads- but looking at your picture I think I may be getting a little too much as I do get some bleeding. Going to try this tomorrow! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tip! I have just been blotting the excess ink away with a paper towel, but perhaps this is a better idea. I had problems with that stamp set as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this very helpful tip! I have been frustrated with these extremely juicy pads! It seemed that no matter how lightly I tapped the stamp, the tiny spaces would fill up with ink. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that tip....I was not amused by the amount of ink on the ink pad (usually it's the other way around!) and glad I'll not have to waste the ink by drying it off with tissues....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Glad I could help with not wasting precious ink!
      Happy Stampin'
      Hugs xx

      Delete
  9. Sarah, thanks for this tip! I was so frustrated yesterday with this issue! Loved your son's girlfriend's elephant card and ended up surfing...lovely cards and tips! Smiles, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very interesting tip; wow! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-You for any comments you may leave, I appreciate the time it takes to do so and I love to read them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...